This pencil has been around forever, not accounting for the company halting production of the pencil for several years, discontinuing the product claiming that it was unsuccessful, then being picked up by another manufacturer to be produced and manufactured in all its previous glory once again. Much to the delight of many an artist and writer, this pencil is available to any and all buyers at a reasonable price.
The Palomino Blackwing 602 is one of those pencils of which you can’t get enough use. It starts off long and strong, and glides across the page with such easy and low pressure to make you feel like you are drawing or writing on a cloud. It keeps wrist fatigue to a minimum allowing for much longer time doing what you do best.
The eraser, which is one of my favorite aspects of this pencil, comes in black, white, and pink for all varying uses depending on what you paper you are working on. The eraser is slid into place using a metal carriage to insert it into the end of the pencil. The carriage has little metal prongs that allow you to adjust the length so that you can use it up completely
These erasers allow you to erase small areas or large areas depending on how you hold it and it erases marks made by the Palomino very quickly with minimal effort. I am partial to the white erasers because I tend to draw with white paper. I even use the Palomino eraser when drawing with other pencils because I love how effective it is at removing marks.
What are the Pros and Cons of the Palomino Blackwing 602,
- Light on the wrist and paper
- Allows for strong or light lines right away
- Easy to sharpen and keep sharp
- The eraser is removable and replaceable
- Feels good in the hand
- Soft lead makes for easy gesture marks
- If you are heavyhanded in any way with this pencil, you are not going to get light lines
- The eraser carriage does not keep a small used eraser at the top without some bending of the metal to keep it in place
- The lead can be too soft and break if too heavy-handed
This is a great pencil and used by many people who have a love for all things art and writing. If you are looking for a pencil that stands the test of time for artists and writers, then choose the Palomino Blackwing 602 every time.